Thursday, March 29, 2018

On Being a Good Neighbor

I think of myself as a good neighbor. The only time I lived alone people only found out that I existed when I was moving out.

I keep my music low (though I play it all the time), I don't litter and properly leave my garbage outside my door to be collected by the garbage collector. I pay my bills on time, and I generally keep to myself.

But I am not sure what's up with my neighbors. In every city that I have lived and for as long as I remember, I had kinda bad neighbors. they crowded around our door and never moved away even when they saw us coming (i would want people to leave my doorway when I want to pass), throwing garbage outside our door, as if it was some kind of trashcan, noisy, and overall ill mannered and people you would want to avoid.

I changed the city, and guess what? bad neighbors followed us here. Until the house was empty, it was nice, but as soon as the family arrived for winters (Thank God! they are seasonal) they produce a heap of garbage (honestly it is none of my business that how much garbage they produce, but they dump it outside my house). they have thrown away all their diapers, pads, and other stuff outside the balcony. which is accumulating on shed of a restaurant (I am planning to talk to the restaurant's manager) and on top of that they have ill mannered children, something between 4 and 15!!! the younger ones are always playing in the corridor and their amusement is ringing the doorbell and running away! all the time, at 3- 4 in the afternoon when we are resting, or at 11 in night, when my mother is about to go to sleep. And there is no reasoning with them. their kids are young, but what's the right age to start training their children about not to irritate or annoy the neighbors (or people in general) if they could enjoy ringing the bell, they could be taught not to do it because it disturbs people.

but how can I expect that from them? when elders can't even be bothered about cleanliness!!! they apparently has a lot of money, because it requires a lot of money to support a certain lifestyle that they enjoy, but they don't have manners and all the money can't buy you manners and education.

when this happens, I remember all the Islamiyat lessons and Ahadees about cleanliness and on importance of being good neighbors.

So, if you are reading this, please make sure that you are a good neighbor. Save someone from writing such a post!

Sugandh

No comments:

Post a Comment

Setting Up A Kitchen

The most difficult thing that i needed to do when I started living alone was set up my kitchen. Living alone happened in two phases, once wh...